Saturday, April 25, 2009

Red Curry Salmon

I spent most of the day gardening-- clearing beds, pulling weeds, and planting flowers. At the end of the day my entire body hurts so I wanted a fairly easy dinner. In my world that means that Steven does part of it. We decided to make one of my favorite salmon dishes- red curry salmon. All I have to do is make the rub for the salmon, make the red curry sauces, and make the slaw. Steven makes the rice and grills the salmon. Tonight I also decided to stir fry some green beans.

This recipe seems complex at first but it is fairly easy. The most important thing about making the red curry sauce is to have everything ready before you start the sauce.

Red Curry Sauce

Take about a 1/2 inch (1.3 cm) of ginger root peeled and minced (it is really easy to peel ginger root with a spoon-- it works better than a knife) and 3-4 cloves of minced garlic and fry until golden in about 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add 3/4 teaspoon of coriander, 1 teaspoon of curry powder, 2 teaspoons (or more) of a Taste of Thai red curry paste, and 2 teaspoons of sweet paprika, and 1 teaspoon of cumin. Stir until fragrant. Add one can of light coconut milk, a small can of tomato paste, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and 3 tablespoons of brown sugar (adjust brown sugar to taste). Bring the sauce to a boil and keep warm.

Salmon

I make a rub and grill the salmon on a cedar plank (actually I make the rub and Steven grills it). Sometimes I make a spicy rub-- tonight it was just salt (Kosher), pepper, and olive oil.

Rice

I like to make a coconut milk rice to go with the salmon but tonight I was too tired so we just had Basmati rice.

Slaw

I like to have a little slaw on the side. It is really easy to make-- shred some cabbage in the food processor, add some cilantro, mint, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar and you have a nice slaw that will complement the salmon.

Green Beans

I think green beans go great with this meal. All I do is heat up some oil in a skillet, throw in some green beans, salt, back pepper, and red pepper, and cook them until they are al dente. Wonderful!!!!

Put it all together and garnish with peanuts and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment