Sunday, March 30, 2014

Pasta with Spinach, Tomatoes, and Bacon

Yummy pasta goodness
I did my research and picked a CSA (community supported agriculture). The one I picked is Fair Share Farm in Kearney, Missouri. I am quite excited.  Fair Share Farm  requires one half day of work at the farm so the family and I will be picking and washing some veggies. I am looking forward to our day on the farm although I expected we will be quite tired after our half day of work.
On the sign up day we received a bag of spinach. We a farmer hands you spinach, you make pasta. Yes, another pasta. I seem to be on a pasta kick. I had some asparagus so I threw that in too and some tomatoes and bacon. I wish I had some fresh peas that would have been yummy. Maybe next time.

Pasta with Spinach, Tomatoes, and Bacon

1 Pound (454 g) Box Pasta
4 Slices of Bacon
3 Tbsps of Olive Oil
2-3 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
Approximately .5 lbs (227 g) of Asparagus, Chopped into Pieces
Salt, To Taste
Pepper, To Taste
Red Pepper Flakes, To Taste (Optional)
A Couple Handfuls of Spinach, Roughly Chopped
12 oz. (340 g) Tomatoes, Diced (or if Cherry Tomatoes Cut in Half)
Parmesan Cheese, Grated

Cook the pasta according to package directions (reserve 1/2 cup (118 ml) of pasta water) and drain. While the pasta is cooking, cook the bacon and set aside. Pour olive oil into a large skillet (I use cast iron) and heat to medium-high.

Lovely lovely spinach
Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant (about 2 minutes). Add the asparagus, salt, and pepper (and red pepper flakes if you want some spice) and cook for about 2 minutes.
Stir frying asparagus
Add the spinach, cooked bacon, tomatoes, cooked pasta, and pasta water.
Adding all of the remaining ingredients and heating to wilt the spinach
Stir to combine and heat until spinach wilts. Add cheese. Season to taste. Enjoy!

Yum!
The bottom line would I make this again? Yes, it was delicious.  Next time I may try a different cheese or different veggies. I think whatever I bring home from the CSA will likely work.

No comments:

Post a Comment