Saturday, December 11, 2010

Chocolate Amaretto Bundt Cake

The finished cake. I dusted it with powdered sugar.

We are going to a Christmas party tonight and I was going to make an elaborate dessert-- but I ran out of time-- so I combined two great things- chocolate and liqueur and made a chocolate amaretto cake. It is easy to make and so yummy. It really is better the next day (the amaretto has more time to sink into the cake).  The trick to this cake is preparing the bundt pan by greasing and flouring it so the cake doesn't stick to it.

Cake Ingredients

1 (18.25 oz/ 517 g)) Package Chocolate Cake Mix
4 Large Eggs
1 (5.1 oz 145 g) Package Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
2 Tbsp Amaretto Liqueur
1/2 Cup (125 ml) of Water
1/2 Cup (125 ml) of Vegetable Oil
1/4 Tsp of Almond Extract

Glaze Ingredients

1/2 cup (125 ml) Amaretto Liqueur
1 Cup (113 g) Sifted Powdered Sugar
1 Tbsp Melted Butter

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 F/ 176 C/ Gas Mark 4. I like to let the oven preheat for 15-20 minutes.
  2.  Grease and flour a 10 inch (25 cm) bundt pan.
  3. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, instant vanilla pudding, water, oil, almond extract, and 2 tablespoons of the amaretto; blend together well. I mix the ingredients together for 2-3 minutes, stopping to scrape the bowl.
  4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and let it cool for 20 minutes.
  6. While the cake is cooling make the glaze by combing the powered sugar and amaretto.
  7. To remove the cake form the pan, run a knife around the edge and invert the cake onto the serving plate.
  8. While the cake is still warm, poke holes in the surface. Drizzle with the Amaretto Glaze.
Note: This cake was made in a wreath bundt pan and sprinkled with powdered sugar after the glaze.

The bottom line: Will I make this cake again? Yes, I will. I have several liquor cakes I like to make and this is one of them. I also make a chocolate rum cake, a regular rum cake, and a chocolate Kahlua cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment