Monday, August 29, 2011

Make Your Own Gazpacho

Make your own gazpacho
It is nearing the end of tomato season so I am trying to make as many of my favorite tomato dishes as possible. I've realized that I have a lot of favorite tomato dishes. I don't think I will be able to make all of them by the end of the season, especially since I need to either freeze or can tomatoes for this winter. While I will miss fresh tomatoes, I am looking forward to fall soups, stews, gumbos, and chowders.
Today it is still summer and today's specialty is make your own gazpacho. Would it be easier just to make one gazpacho? Yes, it would but then Katie (who doesn't like onions wouldn't eat it). So this is my compromise. I make the gazpacho base and refrigerate it and chop up the stuff we like and everyone adds their own. It is kind of like a deconstructed gazpacho.  It takes a bit of time but it's worth it.

Gazpacho Base

3 Cups (720 ml) of Tomato Juice (about 4 Medium Sized Tomatoes Food Processed)
1 Lime, Juiced
2 Tsp Balsamic Vinegar
2 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 Tsp Kosher Salt
3 Garlic Cloves
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
Hot Sauce, To Taste (optional)


Place garlic cloves in a food processor with cored  tomatoes (cut in slices) and process. (I use the seeds, skin and all put you could always remove the seeds and skin the tomatoes). Put in a bowl and add remaining ingredients. Since Katie does not like spicy foods, prior to adding the hot sauce, I remove one cup from the bowl and place it in a separate bowl. Refrigerate.
Gazpacho base
Toppings
Gazpacho toppings
Tomatoes
Cucumber
Mint
Basil
Parsley
Chives
Rosemary
Sweet or Green Onion
Sour Cream
Croutons or Bread Smeared with Garlic and Olive Oil and Toasted

Dice the tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions. I like gazpacho with substance so my dice is a bit bigger than a small dice. Chop the herbs into small pieces.

The bottom line: Will I make it again? Yes, it is an easy no cook meal that my family loves. I am going to try to make this again before the summer tomatoes are gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment