Thursday, September 1, 2011

Roasted Salsa

Roasted salsa
 I just went to the farmer's market and bought 10 pounds of canning tomatoes for a dollar a pound. I decided to make roasted salsa, the easiest salsa I make. I love roasted salsa. Actually, I love roasted tomatoes, it brings out their flavor. My plan is to make a lot of the roasted tomato mix and freeze some of it before I add the lime juice and cilantro so I can have salsa this winter.

My recipe is more like an outline. The peppers I use change based on what is ready in our garden. This time I used two serranos. I have used jalapenos, poblanos, and my all-time favorite pepper, lemon pepper. I use all kinds of tomatoes and the amount of lime juice I use changes based on the peppers and the taste preference of the people eating the salsa. Often, I will divide the salsa, so I have both a spicy and mild salsa.

Roasted Salsa

6 Tomatoes or 2 Pounds of Tomatillos (if you want salsa verde)
6-8 Cloves of Garlic
1-2 Onions
1-2 Peppers
Salt and Pepper, To Taste
1-3 Tablespoons of Lime Juice
1/4 Cup (5 g) of Chopped Cilantro

Ready for the oven
Heat broiler on high with the oven rack in the second position from the broiler. Chop the tomatoes into quarters and place on a cookie sheet. I usually cover the cookie sheet in tomatoes, leaving just enough room for the other ingredients. Place the garlic cloves (with the skins on) on the cookie sheets. Quarter the onions and place on the cookie sheet. Finally, place the whole peppers on the cookie sheet. Roast for 4 minutes at a time and then turn the vegetables and the cookie sheet. As the veggies, soften, I remove them.
Roasted veggies
Once all of the veggies have softened, I allow them to cool, the onions and tomatoes in one bowl and the garlic and peppers in another. Once cool, I remove the garlic skins and the tops of the peppers. Next I throw everything into a food process or blender and pulse until just pureed (you still want small pieces of tomato and onion).
Veggies ready to be processed
It is now decision time. Taste the salsa. Depending on the type and number of peppers you used, it could be mild or very spicy.
  • If you are going to freeze the salsa mixture, add salt and pepper to taste and freeze. Once it defrosts add lime juice and cilantro.
  • If the salsa has just the right level of spiciness, add some salt and pepper to taste and then add fresh cilantro. 
  • If it is too spicy add 1-3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice until it has the spice level you want. Then add your salt, pepper and cilantro. 
  • If it is not spicy enough, add some ground cayenne pepper, ancho chile pepper, or chipotle chile pepper (my favorite). Then add the salt, pepper, and cilantro.
The question I always ask, bottom line: will I make this again?  Yes, I will at least once more this summer.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment