Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Strawberry Preserves

Strawberry preserves
 I had such great luck with pineapple preserves, I decided to try strawberry preserves. I decided I would also microwave can these. Although I must admit it wasn't as much fun because there was no talk of "crossing the streams" when I put the metal lids in the microwave. This recipe is just as easy as the pineapple one. I have to admit, I am becoming addicted to microwave canning. Too bad it doesn't work for veggies.

Strawberry Preserves

2 Cups (16 oz/ 445 g) of Fresh Strawberries, Hulled and Sliced
2 Cups (16 oz/ 445 g) of Sugar
1/4 Cup (60 ml) of Lemon Juice (Juice of One Lemon)

Combine the strawberries and sugar in a medium saucepan and cook over low heat until the liquid in the saucepan is clear (about 10 minutes).
Sugar and strawberries
Remove from heat, loosely cover and let sit over night. (I would add the following step next time I make this because I don't like big pieces of fruit in my preserves- Blend with an immersion blender or food processor or mash with a potato masher).  Add the lemon juice to the strawberry mixture and heat over medium heat until the jelly stage is reached (220F/104C).
Boiling strawberry preserves
Pour into hot sterile jars. Place lids on jars and process in the microwave for 1-2 minutes on medium- high heat.
Strawberry preserves in the microwave
The bottom line: Will I make this again? Probably not. It is good but not great. But then I am not a huge strawberry jam/preserves fan (it is better than store bought). I prefer the blackberry Chianti and the pineapple preserves. Next time I have a couple of pints of fresh strawberries,  will make strawberry sorbet.

No comments:

Post a Comment