Saturday, September 17, 2011

Tomato "Magic Sauce"

Tomato Magic Sauce over pasta
This recipe started when Megan sent me a link for "Magic Sauce" which was loosely based on a chimichurri sauce. The combination of herbs sounded wonderful and it got me thinking. I decided to turn her herb combination into a tomato sauce. Why? Because I love tomato sauce and I still have access to summer ripened tomatoes.

Tomato Magic Sauce
3 Tbsp of Olive Oil
1/2 of a Head of Garlic, Sliced
4 Large Tomatoes, Diced
1 Cayenne Pepper, Diced
1 Tbsp of Sugar
1 Sprig Of Thyme
1 Tsp of Fresh Oregano
1 Sprig of Rosemary (1 Tsp Chopped), Leaves Removed and Chopped
1/4 Cup (5 g) of Basil, Chopped
1/4 Cup (60 ml) of Red Wine
1/2 Tsp of Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 Tsp of Sea Salt
Combine all of the ingredients in a large saucepan
Combine all of the ingredients in a large sauce pan and heat over low heat until tomatoes are soft.
The tomatoes are tender and the sauce is ready for the next step
Cool sauce and run through a food mill, process in a food processor, or process with an immersion blender.
The processed sauce
Heat and serve over pasta.
The bottom line: will I make this again? Yes, I will next summer. This sauce is best made with summer ripened tomatoes. I am quickly running out of these special tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment