Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies Regular Oven vs Convection

Convection ovens are wonderful for roasting meat-- but how about baking cookies?

My family was happy to be the taste testers. I used the chocolate chip cookie recipe on the back of the Nestle chocolate chip bag (available here: http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/18476/Original-NESTL%C3%89-TOLL-HOUSE-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies/detail.aspx).  I used a cookie sheet (the kind without sides- a jelly roll pan has sides) and let the cookie sheet cool between batches.


I cooked the cookies in the regular oven at 375 F/ 190 C for 9 minutes. In the convection oven I cooked them at 350 F/175 C for 7 minutes.

The Results

The convection oven cookies were sightly "puffer" or lighter. The regular oven cookies were "denser" and "chewier". Katie and Steven thought that there wasn't enough of a difference to pick one over another-- they liked both.

I liked the convection oven better for two reasons. The first reason- I cooked them for 2 minutes less per batch. The second reason (and most important one)- multiple trays of cookies can be cooked at once because of the circulating air (which keeps the oven at a consistent temperature throughout the oven).

1 comment: