Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Amaretto and Peach Preserves

Amaretto Peach Preserves
 It is peach season! I love summer peaches and I want to have great peaches this winter while I am planning my garden for the next year. What better way to preserve peaches than with liquor? Amaretto is one of my favorites and I thought it would go splendidly with peaches. I was right. The Amaretto enhances but does not overwhelm the peaches. The result is a bit of the fresh bright taste of summer.  The best part is this is a microwavable, so the canning was done in a fraction of the time than regular canning requires. So yes, my jam/preserves obsession goes on. Am I worried that we will have too much jam and not be able to eat all of it? Ha! We have already decimated several jars. Thanks to the jellies, jams, and preserves I make, we actually eat breakfast now. 
Oh! I almost forgot my notes on this recipe. To peel the peaches, with a sharp knife cut an X on the bottom (nonstem end) of the peach. Drop the peach into boiling water for three minutes. Remove from the boiling water and the skin should remove easily.

Amaretto and Peach Preserves

5 Cups (770 g) of Peeled and Diced Peaches (About 5 Peaches)
3 Cups (600 g) of Sugar
1/2 Cup (120 ml) of Lemon Juice
1/2 Cup (120 ml) of Amaretto

Wow! That is a lot of sugar
In a medium saucepan bring the peaches, sugar, and lemon juice to a boil.
Cooking the peaches
The boil should be a rolling boil that does not stir down. Add the amaretto and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until desired thickness. About 15 minutes will give you a runny preserve and 30 minutes will give you a thicker preserve.
 
To can, place in sterile hot jars and place in the microwave. Heat on medium-high power for 1-2 minutes.

The bottom line: Will I make this again? Yes, I have already made this twice this summer. It is fantastic on a bagel with cream cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment