Saturday, August 15, 2015

Grilled Portobello Mushrooms

It is a little messy but it is so good
We are still on our healthy eating "lifestyle" changing guidelines.  I really enjoy our new eating habits- more fish, fruits, and veggies and less meat, pastas, and desserts. I miss pasta the most although I have replaced white flour pasta with whole grain pasta (angel hair), quiona, and brown rice.  I really enjoy dessert once a week because it gives me something to look forward to- although I allow myself a piece of high quality dark chocolate once a day. We eat a lot of fresh tuna and salmon- it is a good thing we love fish and I try to make meatless meals.  One of my favorites is grilled portobello mushrooms.  So easy and so good. I wasn't planning on blogging this one but it was so good, my family requested that it be blogged. So the amounts are approximate and there are no in process pictures.
I would normally use basil in these mushroom but I had some fresh spinach and used that instead. If you are one of those rare people that don't like goat cheese, then substitute mozzarella (or another cheese) for the goat cheese. I would have loved to add panko or bread crumbs to this mixture but I am trying to cut back (and I didn't miss them).

Grilled Portobello Mushrooms

3 Large Portobello Mushrooms
Olive Oil
Couple of Tomatoes, Diced
2 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
1/2 Half Red Pepper, Diced
1/4 Sweet Onion, Diced
4 Ounces (114 grams) Goat Cheese
8 Ounces (228 grams) Spinach, Chopped
3 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
Salt and Pepper, To Taste

Prepare your grill. (light your charcoal if you are using a charcoal grill). Sauté the onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil. Once the onion and garlic are lightly caramelized, remove from heat and cool. Meanwhile, scoop out the black fins of the portobello and lightly coat the inside and outside of the mushrooms with olive oil.  Combine the tomatoes, red pepper, goat cheese, spinach, vinegar, onion and garlic in a bowl.
On the grill
Divide the mixture between the mushrooms and place the mushrooms on the grill. Grill for approximately 7-10 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender and the filling is heated through.
Finished! These were eaten so quickly I was lucky I got a picture.
The bottom line will I make this again? Yes, my family is already requesting it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment