Monday, December 5, 2011

Chai Spiced Granola

Chai Spiced Granola
My favorite tea is chai. I love the warmness of the spices. We used to make our own chai tea by mixing spices with black tea. It was wonderful. I decided to create a granola with those same spices. I like making my own granola because I control the amount of sugar and I add little bits of left over nuts, dried fruit, and coconut. Feel free to substitute different nuts and dried fruits. I use whatever I have in the pantry.


Chai Spiced Granola

1/2 Cup (115 g) of Butter
1/2 Cup (120 ml) of Honey
1/2 Cup (110  g) of Brown Sugar, Packed
1/2 Cup (120 ml) of Water
1 Tsp of Vanilla
1/4 Tsp of Cardamom
1/2 Tsp of Cinnamon
1/4 Tsp of Ground Ginger
5 Cups (450 g) of Rolled Oats
1 Cup (170 g) of Sliced Almonds
1 Cup (128 g) of Pecans
1 Cup (120 g) of Craisins
2 Cups (152 g) of Grated Coconut
Preheat oven to 300F/149C/Gas Mark 2. In a small saucepan combine first eight ingredients and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
Saucepan with butter, brown sugar, and chai spices
In a large bowl combine the remaining ingredients. Pour the butter mixture over the rolled oats and toss to combine. Spread onto two cookie sheets and bake for 10 minutes.  Stir and bake for 10 more minutes.
Granola
Granola should be lightly toasted. If it is not bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
The bottom line: will I make this again? Yes. I loved this and my family loved it. The chai spices were amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment