Saturday, December 10, 2011

Craisin Almond White Chocolate Biscotti

Biscotti and coffee
While I am not normally a huge fan of white chocolate (it is not even really chocolate), there are three different cookies I love with white chocolate. (Drum roll please). They are white chocolate macadamia nut, biscotti, and dark chocolate cookies with white chocolate chips. Now that I am craving biscotti, I really hope I have white chocolate chips in the house......I don't so I am substituting chopped up almond bark. Because I am adding so much stuff to the biscotti I am making the Americanized version which is a bit softer and easier to work with. The more traditional version is harder and denser (it does not have eggs in the recipe).

Craisin Almond White Chocolate Biscotti
1/2 Cup (115g) of Butter, Softened
3/4 Cup (150g) of Sugar
1/4 Tsp of Salt
2 Large Eggs
2 Cups (250g) of Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 Tsp of Baking Powder
2/3 Cups (55 g) of Sliced Almonds
2/3 Cup (120g) of Craisins or Dried Cranberries
2/3 Cup (80g) of White Chocolate Chips or Chopped Almond Bark

Preheat the oven to 350F/176C/Gas Mark 4. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Cream the butter, sugar, and salt together. Add the eggs one at a time.
Adding the eggs
Add the flour and baking powder and beat until just blended. Stir in the almonds, craisins, and white chocolate.
Mountain of dough
On the prepared cookie sheet form the dough into a 13 inch (33 cm) by 3 inch (8 cm) log.
Forming the dough into a dough log
Bake for 15-25 minutes (it should be a light golden brown) and cool for 20 minutes.


Cooling cookie

 Reduce the oven temperature to 325F/162C/Gas Mark 3. Place log on a cutting board and lightly mist with water (this will make it easier to cut). Cut into 3/4 inch slices. Be sure to cut straight up and down and not on a slant. Set each biscotti upright on the baking sheet and bake 20 to 25 minutes. The biscotti should be crisp.

 The bottom line: will I make this again? Yes. I love biscotti with coffee. My husband is already asking for more biscotti. The next time I may substitute pine nuts for the almonds and dark chocolate for the white chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment