Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Ham Baked in Beer

Baked ham
Steven loves ham. I really like ham (not as much as Steven does). I like baked ham during the holidays because it is easy. It is great for holiday dinners. I love the leftovers. We will have ham sandwiches, ham loaf, scalloped potatoes and ham, and ham fried rice for dinners and lunches the week after Christmas. And I still have enough to freeze. Not to mention, the ham bone-- I am already dreaming about navy bean soup.
I like to bake my ham with beer and then I glaze it. The beer adds a bit of spice and oomph to the ham. It also adds moisture. The ham doesn't dry out (I can't stand a dry ham). This year I used Schlafly's Christmas Ale. A brown ale would be great as well. An Oktoberfest would also pair nicely. Just make sure it is something you would drink because the beer taste will infuse into the ham. Yum! Don't like beer? Have you tried a craft beer? Still don't like it? Really? (Try baking it with a small ham steak you may like it. Try it, try it, you will see... I feel like Sam I am. Yes. I do like green eggs and ham. Who doesn't?)  If you really don't like beer, you can substitute 1/2 cup (60 ml) of water or pineapple juice for the beer.

Spiral Cut Ham

Preheat oven to 325F/162 C/Gas Mark 3. Place the ham in a baking pan, pour 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) of beer into the bottom of the pan, cover with aluminum foil.
Baked ham
Bake for 10 minutes per pound (.45 kg) or until heated through. Remove the ham from the oven. Increase heat to 425F/218C/Gas Mark 7. Glaze Ham. Return to oven and bake uncovered. Bake for 10-15 minutes until glaze is brown and bubbly.

Glaze
1/4 Cup (60 ml) of Maple Syrup
1/4 Cup (60 ml) of Honey
1/2 Cup (100 g) of Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp of Dijon Mustard
The glaze is ready to heat; you can make this while the ham is baking
In a small saucepan combine maple syrup, honey. brown sugar, and mustard and heat over low heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture is warm.

Ham glaze
The bottom line: will I make this again? Yes. Probably several times this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment