Thursday, December 29, 2011

Basil Lemon Drop Martini

Two lemon drop martinis
I don't like the martinis that taste like Windex. I like "candy in a cup" martinis. Needless to say, I love this drink. It has all of my favorite ingredients except chocolate. It is even served in a martini glass with a sugared rim (rub a piece of lemon and rub it along the rim of the glass and then dip in sugar). If I have a lemon drop, I throw that in the glass too. If you love lemons, this is your drink. There are two versions to this drink, one with basil and one with rosemary. You need fresh herbs for this; please do not substitute dried herbs. Yuck! Also fresh lemon juice is required as well-- not that stuff from a plastic lemon. I use homemade  limoncello for my drinks; I dislike all of the zesting but I love the results. If you don't want to make your own, most liquor stores carry limoncello. Making the rosemary and basil syrups take a little more time but I think it's worth it. If you don't have the time or the obsessive desire to make the perfect drink, you can use simple syrup and put either bruised basil leaves or a sprig of rosemary in the martini shaker.
Speaking of obsessive desires to create the perfect drink, this is the latest greatest version of the lemon drop. If I e-mailed you earlier versions, try this one. I like it more than the earlier versions.

Basil Lemon Drop Martini


1 1/2 oz. (3 Tbsp, 45 ml) of Vodka
1 oz. (2 Tbsp, 30 ml)  of Limoncello
1 oz. (2 Tbsp, 30 ml) of Lemon Juice
1 oz. (2 Tbsp, 30 ml) of Basil Syrup


Combine the ingredients in a martini shaker filled with ice. Shake, pour into a martini glass with a sugared rim, and garnish with basil. 

Basil Syrup
Basil Syrup
1/2 Cup of Basil
1 Cup of Simple Syrup
Lemon Zest or Peel from One Lemon (make sure there is no pith)

Combine hot simple syrup with the basil and zest. Refrigerate for at least an hour. Strain.

Pouring the martini into the sugar rimmed glass
Rosemary Lemon Drop Martini
1 1/2 oz. (3 Tbsp, 45 ml) of Vodka
1 oz. (2 Tbsp, 30 ml)  of Limoncello
1 oz. (2 Tbsp, 30 ml) of Lemon Juice
1 oz. (2 Tbsp, 30 ml) of Rosemary Syrup

Combine the ingredients in a martini shaker filled with ice. Shake, pour into a martini glass with a sugared rim.
Everything is ready for making martinis
Rosemary Syrup
1 Cup (240 ml) Simple Syrup
1 Sprig of Rosemary
Zest or Peel from One Lemon (Make sure there is no pith)

Combine hot simple syrup with the rosemary and zest. Refrigerate for at least an hour. Strain.
Rosemary syrup
Simple Syrup
1 Cup (200 g) of Sugar
1 Cup (240 ml) of Water

Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
Enjoying a sunset and a lemon drop martini
Will I make this again? Yes. Lovely. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment