Monday, January 2, 2012

Oh My Darling Clementine Sorbet

Clementine sorbet in a clementine
The reason I started this blog was to document the recipes for the dishes that I wanted to make again. My earlier method was a scrap of paper with a list of ingredients - no measurements and no directions. Often, I would throw together a meal, we would love it, and I was unable to recreate it. I also wanted my daughter, Katie, to be able to make these dishes when she has her own home.
I ask a lot of "what ifs" as I cook. The answer is usually why not try it. Cooking and life is more exciting if you take risks. You should do things that scare you (well not like dangerous things) but things that make you grow as a person and as a cook. This blog records the "why nots" that work.
When I made this sorbet, I decided to try making a simple syrup with juice and sugar. I didn't use any water to make my simple syrup. [Gasp!] My hope was I would have a concentrated orange flavor. The result was the best orange, well, clementine sorbet ever. [Editor's note that last sentence should be read in the voice of David Tennant as Dr. Who].

Clementine Sorbet

Juice of 16 Clementines (2 3/4 cups/660 ml), Divided
1/2 Cup (100 g) of Granulated Sugar

Combine 3/4 cup (180 ml) of orange juice in a small saucepan with the sugar. Heat over low heat until the sugar is dissolved.
Heating the juice and sugar
Chill syrup and orange juice.
Chilled and ready for the ice cream maker
Once chilled, pour into ice cream maker and follow the manufactures' instructions.
Homemade sorbet
For a special twist, carefully hollow out a clementine and use it for your sorbet dish. Trust me, it's awesome.
Perfect sorbet bowls
The bottom line: will I make this again? Oh, yes. Every time I make orangecello, I will be juicing the zested oranges to make sorbet. Intense orange flavor and best orange sorbet ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment