Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Candied Bacon

Candied bacon
As you might have guessed from my blog, I really like food. I like all kinds of food. Are some foods more equal than others? (I couldn't resist the Animal Farm reference; we are talking about bacon). Sure-- but just as the seasons change, my tastes change. In summer, I crave light fresh veggie-filled foods. In the winter, I usually want heartier fare. No matter which season it is, I am always in the mood for bacon. I am crazy about bacon. It is delicious. I guess it's true pigs are more equal.
I usually add bacon in small amounts to a dish. So when I went to a New Years Eve party and my friend Cristi brought candied bacon, I was in heaven. It was so so yummy. When we had a party to go to, I decided to make candied bacon, pepper candied bacon, and cayenne candied bacon. It is amazingly easy to make. I decided to use some of the maple cured bacon that I received as part of the half of hog we bought from a local farmer.
I decided to make it using two different methods: (1) on a broiler rack and (2) between two cookie sheets. I am curious to see which method works better. I made the candied bacon first and decided to add maple syrup to the mixture because the bacon with just brown sugar wasn't "candied" enough.

Candied Bacon

1/3 Pound (135 g) of Bacon
1/3 Cup (70 g) of Brown Sugar

Preheat your oven to 325F/162C/Gas Mark 3. (The convection setting would not make a difference with the cookie sheet method).  Place a piece of parchment or foil on a cookie sheet. Toss the bacon with the brown sugar. Place the bacon on top of the foil or parchment paper and top with any remaining brown sugar.
Brown sugared bacon
Top bacon with another piece of foil or parchment paper and cover with the second cookie sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, check the bacon if it is golden brown and crispy remove to a plate. If it is not crispy cook for additional 5 minute intervals.

Spicy Candied Bacon

1 Pound (.45 kg) of Bacon
1/3 Cup (70 g) Brown Sugar
1/3 Cup (80 ml) of Maple Syrup
1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper

Preheat your oven: regular oven 325F/162C/Gas Mark 3 and convection 300F/149C/Gas Mark 2. I used the convection oven setting.  Grease a broiler pan. Combine the brown sugar, maple syrup, and cayenne.
Brown sugar, maple syrup, and cayenne. 
Slather the bacon in the maple syrup mixture. Place on greased broiler pan. Bake 10 minutes and flip the bacon and turn the broiler pan.  Bake for another 10 minutes and flip the bacon. Bake at 5 minute intervals until the bacon is golden brown and crispy. Baking times will vary based on the thickness of your bacon.


Pepper Candied Bacon

1 Pound (.45 kg) of Bacon
1 Tsp Pepper
1/3 Cup (70 g) of Brown Sugar
1/3 Cup (80 ml) of Maple Syrup

Preheat your oven: regular oven 325F/162C/Gas Mark 3 and convection 300F/149C/Gas Mark 2. (I used the convection oven setting).  Grease a broiler pan. Combine brown sugar, maple syrup, and pepper.
Maple syrup, brown sugar, and pepper
Slather the bacon in the maple syrup mixture. Place on greased broiler pan. Bake 10 minutes and flip the bacon and turn the broiler pan. Bake for another 10 minutes and flip the bacon. Bake at 5 minute intervals until the bacon is golden brown and crispy. The baking time depends on the thickness of your bacon.
Slathered bacon ready to bake
The bottom line: will I make this again? Oh my goodness yes. I could have eaten all myself. I also made this with bacon pieces (ends).
Bacon pieces
Also amazing. I liked the broiler pan/convection oven method better than the two cookie sheets. I could not decide if I liked the peppered bacon or the cayenne bacon more. Next time I will add more cayenne.

No comments:

Post a Comment