Monday, March 7, 2011

Oreo Cookie Cheesecakes

A happy Oreo Cheesecake.
When I was in law school, one of my friends gave me this recipe. It is the marriage of two great flavors: cheesecake and Oreo cookies. Best of all, they are oh so easy to make. The only downside is the recipe only makes 12 cheesecake cookies. I could eat all 12 in one sitting. I guess you could always double the recipe. I think that they are perfect for a tea party with your daughter. (You are never too old to have a tea party).
Katie having an Oreo cheesecake tea party
I typed the introduction this morning before I had two different coffee spills. The first one was picking Katie up at the airport. I did not have any caffeine before leaving for the airport. Unfortunately, I brought a Carmel Light Frappuccino in the terminal. Katie and I were so happy to see each other that we had a great big giant hug. Katie's elbow hit my coffee and it flew to the ground and went all over the nice Southwest gate agent. I should have quit while I was ahead but I didn't. Still desperate for caffeine, I poured a cup and decided to drink it while I worked on my blog. BIG MISTAKE. This time I hit my coffee and it poured onto my laptop. I quickly turned it over (to keep the coffee away from the hard drive, motherboard, and battery); cleaned it up the best I could, and opened up the back to remove the battery and hard drive. Its parts are now removed, and it is drying out. I hope that it will work. For now I am working on a Mac Mini.

I am not going to have coffee for the rest of the day. I wonder if tea is safe?

Oreo Cheesecakes 

12 Double Stuff Oreo Cookies
2 8 oz. (227 g each) Packages of Cream Cheese (I use one full fat and one 1/3 fat)
1/2 Cup (113 g) of Granulated Sugar
1 Tsp of Vanilla
2 Large Eggs
1/2 Cup (90 g) Semisweet, White, or Milk Chocolate Pieces* (See Note Below)
2 Tsp of Shortening

Preheat oven to 325F/165C. Carefully, split cookies, keeping filling on one side of the cookie. Line muffin pans with foil baking cups (I use the paper liners too).

Place cookie icing side up in baking cup. Set aside. Crush some of the cookie halves without icing and set aside.
Crushed cookies



Combine cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth and fluffy.
 
Beat in eggs until mixed. Spoon cream cheese mixture into baking cups.

Sprinkle some of the cookie crumbs on top of the cream cheese mixture.
 
Bake uncovered in a 325 F/165C oven for 25 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and allow to cool.


There are two ways to melt the chocolate: on the stove in a double boiler or in the microwave. If you are using the stove then, place chips and shortening in the top of a double boiler over hot but not boiling water. Stir constantly until the chocolate chips are melted. Remove immediately. If you are using the  microwave, place the chips and shortening in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for one minute at 50% power. Stir well. Continue to heat the chips for additional 30 second increments at 50% power until they are melted.

*I use 1/4 cup (45 g) of semisweet chips with one teaspoon of shortening in one bowl and 1/4 cup of milk chocolate chips and one teaspoon of shortening in another bowl. That way I can make designs with the chocolate.
Ready to go into the microwave.
The assembly line is ready
I could not find my pastry bag so I substituted plastic bags and pastry tips. It worked almost as well.

 It is a lot of fun to decorate the cheesecakes.
My cheesecake.
Katie's cheesecake.
Ok- maybe this one is mine as well- all that chocolate
Milk and semisweet chocolate

No comments:

Post a Comment