Monday, March 7, 2011

Udon Soup

Udon Soup

As a practicing Catholic, I fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. (Fasting for Catholics means we are allowed one full meal). I have often wondered how big of a meal and what sort of a meal is appropriate for breaking my fast. I (personally) don't think having a huge meal with creamy sauces is what I should be eating. On the other hand, I want something hearty because we would be very hungry by dinner. I am open to all ideas - except I want to have something different from fish sticks and macaroni and cheese, the classic Catholic meatless meal.
 
I read through my monastic cookbooks for inspiration. Monastic cooking is wonderful and their food philosophy (obviously) works perfectly for Lent.  Most monastic diets do not include meat (year round), but do include fresh local food that is in season. They have wonderful recipes with fruits, vegetables, fish, eggs, and cheeses. Actually, this sounds a lot like some of the current "slow food" and "local food" movements. My favorite monastic cookbook is The Pure Joy of Monastic Cooking by Brother Victor-Antoine d’Avila-Latourrette. I really like all of his cookbooks. 

It took awhile, but inspiration fully struck; not that it was a sacrifice to read through cookbooks.  Here is what we are planning on having. I will post pictures of our dinner once we have it.

Ash Wednesday Dinner 


Veggie and Shrimp Soup with Udon Noodles

14 oz. (400 g) Package of Udon Noodles
4 Cups (1 L) of Vegetable Broth
1 Inch (2.5 cm) Piece of Ginger
2 1/2 Tablespoons of Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons of Rice Vinegar
1 Tablespoon of Granulated Sugar
6 oz. (170 g) of Mushrooms, Sliced
6 oz. (170 g) of Baby Corn, Cut into Pieces
1/2 Cup  (60 g) of Carrots, Thinly Sliced
6 oz. (170 g) of Shrimp

Cook udon noodles according to package directions and set aside.

In a large pot combine vegetable broth, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar and bring to a boil (I had the greens from the carrots so I added those to the pot as well). Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes (remove carrot greens).

Add mushrooms, carrots, and baby corn. Cook until tender. Add shrimp and cook for four more minutes until shrimp are pink.

Divide the udon noodles between four bowls and pour the soup over them over them.


The bottom line: Will I make this again? Yes, it was a quick meal to make and I loved the broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment