Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Seared Ahi Tuna

Seared Ahi
 This is a quick last minute meal. The tuna takes less than a minute to sear on each side. Served with a salad, it makes a mice meal. The critical piece to this recipe is fresh sashimi grade ahi. I like to go to Whole Foods to get my ahi. I justify the cost of this dish by looking at what it would cost if we ordered it out. Like most of the dishes I make, this can be easily changed by switching the bread crumbs with a different seasoning. Or marinating the ahi in a mixture of oil (vegetable, sesame, or peanut), soy sauce, and rice vinegar.

Seared Ahi 

1 Pound (454 g) of Ahi Tuna (Sashimi Grade)
Salt and Pepper, To Taste
3/4 Cup (42 g) of Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs or Panko
3 Tbsp of Vegetable or Canola Oil

Cut the ahi tuna into two pieces and salt and pepper the pieces. Place bread crumbs in a bowl and dredge the tuna in the bread crumbs.

Pour oil into skillet and heat on high. Once the oil is hot, sear the ahi for 45 seconds on each side. Bottom line: Will I make this again? Yes, I will but I will marinate it first. I think the marinate adds a level of flavor that was missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment