Friday, March 4, 2011

Tiramisu- Coffee Chocolaty Creamy Goodness

Finished tiramisu
Tiramisu means "pick me up." It is my favorite of all of the Italian desserts and it definitely brightens my day. If my daughter is asked what dessert she wants this one is in the top two. It is not a quick dessert. It takes me about an hour to make, but it needs at least 5 hours to chill. If I am going to serve it at dinner, I try to make it the night before. Oh! My version does have raw eggs. I use pasteurized eggs. You can make your own Mascarpone Cheese. It is easy to make and I have the recipe at the end of this blog.


Dipping Liquid
3 Cups (750 ml) of Strong Cold Espresso Coffee
1 Cup (250 ml) of Kahlua Coffee Liquor

Cream Layer
2 Cups (500 ml) of Heavy Cream
5 Egg Yolks
1/4 Cup (50 g) of Granulated Sugar
1 Pound of Mascarpone Cheese

32 Biscotti Savoiardi (Ladyfingers)
3 Tablespoons of Unsweetened Cocoa Powder

Combine the egg yolks, sugar and cheese in a large bowl and set aside.
 

In a large bowl whip the cream until stiff peaks form.
 

Gently fold the whipped cream into the egg mixture until well combined.

In a separate bowl, combine the coffee and Kahlua. Dip the ladyfingers individually into the coffee mixture and place on the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan (300 mm x 400 mm pan).




Carefully spoon (or using a pastry bag pipe) half of the cream mixture over the ladyfingers.

Dip the remaining ladyfingers into the coffee mixture and place on the cream mixture.
 
Spoon or pipe the remaining mixture over the ladyfingers.


Chill at least five hours. When ready to serve, sprinkle 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder through a fine sieve over the surface of the tiramisu.

Make Your Own Mascarpone Cheese

2 8 Ounce (226 g) packages of Cream Cheese
1/2 Cup (125 ml) of Whipping Cream
5 Tablespoons of Sour Cream

Combine the ingredients above and chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment