Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Smoked Trout Dip with a Bite

Smoked trout dip with pita bread.
I gave my husband a gift certificate for a grilling/smoking class one year for Father's Day. That class moved his grilling and smoking ability to the next level. He does an excellent job smoking fish. It is also nice every once in a while to have a night off from cooking (and still have great food).
My favorite is smoked trout. As much as I like it right out of the smoker, there is nothing like a smoked trout dip. I love it on pita bread, rye bread, and in the morning on toasted bagels. It is simple to make (at least for me); when we smoke trout, we just smoke an extra trout or two and let it chill in foil in the refrigerator. The next day, we have smoked trout for our dip.
I like horseradish so I developed a dip that has a bite to it from the horseradish. If you don't like horseradish, eliminate it and substitute lemon juice. I like a smooth trout dip (e.g., no pieces of trout). If you like pieces of fish in your dip, just reserve 1/2 of the trout, roughly chop it, and add it with the dill and onion. The dip is supposed to  chill in the refrigerator for the flavors to mingle (insert your version of a Far Side cartoon here), but I start eating it right away.

Smoked Trout Spread with a Bite

8-10 oz (227g to 283 g) of Smoke Trout
8 oz. (227 g) of Cream Cheese, Softened
1/2 Cup (121 g) of Sour Cream
2 Tbsp of Prepared Horseradish
3 Tbsp of Fresh Dill (3 Tsp of Dried Dill)
1/4 Cup (48 g) of Red Onion, Finely Chopped



In a food processor combine cream cheese, sour cream, and horseradish.

Add trout and puree.
 

Fold in the dill and onion and serve!



Bottom line: Will I make this again? Yes, I will. I really like the bite that the horseradish provides. I use lower fat cream cheese and sour cream; so there is all the flavor and less guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment