Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Not Your Average Spicy Coleslaw

The ingredients for coleslaw
I love coleslaw. I grew up with barbecue sandwiches made with pulled pork and coleslaw. I love creamy coleslaw and vinegar-based coleslaw. I did not like all of the calories in coleslaw dressing, and I did not like cabbage that was drowning in dressing.  I started experimenting with coleslaw recipes. I wanted the taste of the cabbage, carrots, onions, and radishes (yes radishes) to shine though and not get drowned in the dressing. This coleslaw delivers. It is a mustard based dressing and you can taste the flavors of the veggies. My husband complained about the lack of dressing until he tasted it.   I really like the radishes in this slaw- it adds a bit of bite. This makes a lot of slaw which is a good thing because I could eat it for an entire meal.

Dressing
3 Tablespoons of Dijon Mustard
3 Tablespoons of Vinegar (Your Choice, I like Rice Wine Vinegar)
1 Clove of Garlic, Minced
1/2 Teaspoon of Cayenne or 2 Chiles, Crushed or Minced
Dressing ingredients

Whisk dressing ingredients together.
Coleslaw dressing

Slaw
1/2 Head of Cabbage, Shredded
3 Carrots, Grated
1/2 Onion, Grated
1-2 Handfuls of Radishes, Grated

Combine slaw ingredients with dressing.
All that grated cabbage

Refrigerate until ready to eat. Best to refrigerate for 24 hours to allow the flavors to blend.

A perfect combination: pulled pork and coleslaw


The bottom line: Will I make this again? Yes- love it. This is the coleslaw I make every time I make pulled pork.

No comments:

Post a Comment