Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Oil Free Pesto

Pesto with roasted tomatoes instead of oil
I love pesto and I make it with all kinds of greens and nuts. I haven't made a bad pesto yet. This time of year when we have lots of new greens it is easy to go outside and pick your dinner. I used a combination of arugula, spinach, parsley, and basil decided to make an oil-less pesto by using roasted tomatoes (frozen from last year's harvest) instead of oil. Yes, it can be done. And it can be delicious. I know I had seconds. I would have had thirds but it was all gone. I need to get a bigger bowl.

1/2 Cup (60 g) of Nuts, Toasted
3 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
1 1/2 Cups (340 g) of Roasted Tomatoes With Juice
2 Cups (40 g) of Basil, Spinach, Arugula, and/or Parsley
1/2 of Parmesan Cheese, Grated
Salt and Pepper, To Taste

Place nuts, garlic, and cheese in the food processor and process until coarse.

Nuts, garlic, and cheese
Add the roasted tomatoes, salt, and pepper and process.
The pesto with roasted tomatoes

Add the basil, spinach, arugula, and/or parsley and process until pesto consistency is reached.
Adding the greens

Serve over pasta.
Pesto over pasta
The bottom line: will I make this again? Yes. It is wonderful even if it isn't a beautiful bright green pesto. It is so good that my husband did not know it was oil-less until we discussed this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment