Saturday, April 28, 2012

Roasted Veggies (Roasted Radishes)

Veggies ready to be chopped and roasted
I make roasted veggies all year round switching out veggies for what is in season. Everyone in my family loves roasted veggies. People who don't like veggies love these. I actually crave this dish. It's true- I do. I love them. I made them as part of a special date night dinner- just me and my husband. All you do is cut up some veggies, put them in a bag (I use one of the bags the veggies came in), throw in some fresh herbs, salt, pepper, and spices. Shake the bag to mix everything together, dump it onto a greased baking sheet, and roast. The result- amazing roasted veggies. I like mine al dente (with just a bit of a bite but cooked through). Believe it or not they are sweet and so incredible. This is also great with winter and summer squash.This time I tried roasting radishes. Radishes? Yes, radishes. They were excellent. They mellowed and became sweet when roasted. I can't wait until I have fresh beets-- talk about incredible. I love roasted beets and goat cheese. This is a great recipe to make using a convection oven.

Veggies-- (These change each time I make this dish; this time I used)

1/2 Head of Cauliflower
1 Sweet Onion, Sliced into Rings
6 Cloves of Garlic, Unpeeled
2 Carrots, Peeled and Chopped
6 Radishes, Quartered
6 New Potatoes, Diced
A Couple of Handfuls of Green Beans, Cut in Half
A Couple of Handfuls of Radishes, Quartered

Fresh Herbs (These also change based on my mood, the veggies, and the seasoning)

1 Sprig of Rosemary, Chopped
2 Sprigs of Thyme, Chopped

Seasoning

Salt and Pepper, To Taste
1/4 to 1/2 Tsp of Cayenne Pepper (or Cumin or Smoked Paprika or Cajun seasoning-- you get the idea)

Oil

1/4 Cup (60 ml) of Olive or Grape Seed Oil

Preheat oven to 475F/246C/ Gas Mark 9 (convection 450F/232C/Gas Mark 8). Combine all of the ingredients into a bowl or bag and shake or stir until all of the veggies are covered in oil.
Shaken not stirred

Dump onto a greased baking sheet.

Chopped, oiled, seasoned, and ready for the oven

Roast (stirring every 10 minutes) for 35-45 minutes (convection 25 -35 minutes) or until the veggies are browned (but still crunchy).  

Roasting

Will I make this again? Yes- every week. This is my favorite way to eat veggies (and I like to eat veggies. Well, I actually like to eat. I like pretty much any kind of food as long as it is well prepared.) It is also time for a confession- I estimated on the seasoning-- I just sprinkle until it looks right. Go ahead and taste the veggies and adjust the seasonings. My family ends up eating several handfuls ("testing the seasoning") before they go into the oven.
A plate full of roasted veggies

No comments:

Post a Comment