Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Meatloaf Cupcakes with Mashed Potato Frosting

Meatloaf cupcake with mashed potato frosting
I made meatloaf cupcakes  for April Fool's day this year but they are so good that we will eat them all year round.The key (I think) to moist meatloaf (and meatballs) is bread soaked in milk. I use potato bread.
I can't justify cream for the mashed potatoes so I use fat free half and half. They are just as good and so creamy.  I really wanted to color the mashed potatoes with beet juice but received too many protests from my family (I love beets and I really wanted pink mashed potatoes). Just wait until I harvest the beets in our garden (60 or so more days). We will be eating beets with every meal! I made extra mashed potatoes so we had leftovers (my family loves mashed potatoes). I prefer fresh fries or hash browns.

Meatloaf Cupcakes
1/2 Cup (125 ml) of Milk
3 Slices of Bread, Torn into Pieces
1 Tbsp of Butter
1/2 of a Large Onion, Finely Diced
2 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
1 lbs (.45 kg) of Ground Beef (or a mixture of beef and pork or beef and turkey)
1 Tbsp of Worcestershire Sauce
1 Egg
Salt and Pepper, to Taste

In a large bowl, soak the pieces of bread in milk.
Bread soaking in milk

Preheat the oven to 350F/176 C/ Gas mark 4. Place 12 foil muffin liners in muffin tins. In a medium skillet melt butter over medium heat. Once the butter is melted add the onion and garlic saute until onion is tender.
Sauteing onions and garlic

Rub the bread between your fingers until mushy. Add the remaining ingredients to the bread and mix well.
Mixing the meatloaf

Spoon the meatloaf into the foil liners.

Meatloaf Glaze 
1/3 Cup (75 ml) of Ketchup
2 Tbsp of Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp of Mustard

In a small bowl combine the ingredients and spoon onto the tops of each meatloaf muffin. (There will be glaze left over).
Meatloaf cupcakes
Bake the meatloaf cupcakes for 25 minutes.

Mashed Potatoes

Several Potatoes, Peeled and Cut into Chunks
2 Tbsp of Butter
1/2 Cup (125 ml) of Fat Free Half and Half

Boil potatoes for approximately 20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and rice potatoes.
Ricing the potatoes

Add butter and half and half. Stir well.

Assembly

Remove cupcakes from muffin tins. Top with mashed potatoes. For a spicy kick, sprinkle with Creole seasoning. Top with half of a cherry tomato if desired.

The bottom line: will I make these again? Yes. The meatloaf cupcakes cook in the foil cup are so juicy and tender. The glaze goes great with the mashed potatoes. I loved them and ate my allotment (4 cupcakes) in one sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment