Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Blueberry Sour Cream Pie

Blueberry sour cream pie
My husband and daughter love blueberries. I try to like them. I know I should; they are a super food. They may be one of the best food for you and they are absolutely lovely. I love the color. I even grow them. The bushes are currently under netting and we will see who gets to eat the blueberries- the Sokols or the birds. I have my money on the birds. So in the meantime, my family is going through quart after quart of blueberries. Katie can eat a pint at one sitting. It is amazing to watch her eat them. I decided that I was going to make a blueberry pie. Not just any blueberry pie but a sour cream pie. I used to work at a restaurant that sold sour cream fruit pies. I loved them. I was never able to talk them out of the recipe so I have made them up over the years. How can you go wrong with sour cream? Especially when you add a strudel topping.  I double the strudel layer and use the leftovers on french toast the next day. Oh! I normally use light sour cream but for this pie I use the full fat full taste version. I think it makes a difference.

1 9 inch (23 cm) Pie Crust
3 Cups (420 g) of Fresh Blueberries

Sour Cream Layer
1 Cup (200 g) of Granulated Sugar
1/3 Cup (40 g) of Flour
A Couple of Dashes of Salt
2 Large Eggs, Beaten
1/2 Cup (120 g) of Sour Cream

Strudel Layer
1/2 Tsp of Cinnamon
1/4 Cup (55 g) of Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup (30 g) of Flour
2 Tbsp of Butter
Everything is ready- some assembly required
Preheat the oven to 350F/176C/Gas Mark 4. Place the pie crust in the pie pan. Pour blueberries into the pie crust.
Blueberries int he pie crust

Combine the sugar, flour and salt in a bowl. Stir in eggs and sour cream. Pour over blueberries.

Combine cinnamon, sugar, flour and butter together until crumbly. Spread strudel layer on top of the sour cream layer.
Ready for the oven

Bake for 45-65 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely and then refrigerate. Serve cold (it is a lot easier to slice).

The bottom line: will I make this again? Yes, it is wonderful. I will also continue to double the topping for french toast.

Strudel french toast



No comments:

Post a Comment