Friday, July 17, 2015

The Best Tacos

The perfect taco
Under the food guidelines I am trying to follow, I am only supposed to have red meat once a week.  I am pretty close to meeting that goal. So, for my red meat meal you would think I would always want a nice juicy steak. Not necessarily.  I am totally addicted to tacos and not just any tacos- I either want tacos from La Tienda (but if I am at La Tienda I am usually going to want the shrimp cilantro pesto quesadillas) so the only other taco I want is this recipe. Yes, it is that good.  It takes awhile but that gives me time to run a couple of miles before dinner. A pro tip-- use cabbage in your tacos instead of lettuce- it tastes better and doesn't wilt.

Tacos
Meat:
1 Pound (.45 kg) of Hamburger (You can make two pounds with the same amount of spices)
Spices:
1 Tbsp of Paprika
1-2 Tbsps of Chili Powder
1/2 Tsp of Garlic Powder
1 Tsp of Cumin
2 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
Veggies:
1/2 of a Bell, Red, Yellow, or Orange Pepper, Diced
1/2 Onion, Diced
It looks like too much spice but it is not trust me
Mix together the meat and spices and place in a medium sauce pan.

Add enough water to cover the meat. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for an hour (yes an hour- this is when I go for my run so I can eat several tacos guilt free).
Adding the pepper and onion- I am on a red pepper kick
Add onion and pepper to the meat mixture and continue to simmer for 30 minutes.  Most of the liquid cooks off so I have never had to drain the meat.
Finished- still some liquid but not too much
Either use the meat right away in your tacos or refrigerate and use later. I like soft shells, cabbage, avocado, onion, tomato, cilantro, and cheese for my tacos.

The bottom line: will I make this again? Yes, it is so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment