Friday, July 3, 2015

What Do I Do with this Kohlrabi Slaw

Kohlrabi Slaw
We have been a part of different CSAs for over a decade (or maybe two). I have found it a fun challenge to use all of the different veggies and fruits in season. I have two exceptions: kohlrabi and bok choy. I mean really? Yuk!
I am a changed woman. Well, I still hate bok choy. I used to hate kohlrabi.  Truly, I did not like it at all. I would offer it to strangers, swap it, or just not take it.  One Saturday, I was at a farmer's market.  Yes, I get weekly supply of veggies from my CSA and I still go to farmer markets and I grow my own (I know I have a problem), the farmer asked if I had tried it in slaw. I decided to try it and oh wow.... it is good. So good I had to share. You can use your favorite slaw dressing or the one below. You can add carrots or onions or brussel sprouts if you want--- I wouldn't add bok choy (nasty stuff).

Kohlrabi (on the left) is no longer intimidating

Apple Kohlrabi Slaw

2 Apples, Grated
2 Kohlrabi, Grated
1/2 Cabbage, Grated
1 Clove of Garlic, Mashed
2 Tablespoons of Rice Wine Vinegar
2-3 Teaspoons Creole Mustard (or your favorite)
5-6 Tablespoons of Oil
Salt and Pepper, To Taste
A food processor makes the prep work easy.
Mix together the apple, kohlrabi and cabbage.
I mix the dressing ingredients in a glass with a bit of plastic wrap over the top.
In a separate bowl (or glass) combine the garlic, vinegar, mustard, oil, salt, and pepper. Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and chill. Enjoy.

The bottom line- will I make this again.  Yes, every time I get kohlrabi from my CSA.  Now if I could figure out what to do with the bok choy......



No comments:

Post a Comment