Saturday, September 1, 2012

Baked Cheesy Corn

Baked cheesy corn
I have very warm feelings towards cheesy corn. I first had it when I moved to Kansas City and visited the various barbecue restaurants. I began to rate the quality of cheesy corn and pulled pork I consumed at the various bbq dives. I also have very warm feelings towards dives. I began making my own pulled pork, spare ribs, and brisket and decided why not cheesy corn. Why? Because there is nothing healthy about cheesy corn and I will eat all of it. As I was perfecting the recipe, I ate it for dinner three nights in a row. I have now got the recipe just right and I need to take up running. But wow is it good and it is even better the next day.
I did lighten it by using light cream cheese and 1% milk. Low fat cheese would also work. I really like a hot pepper cheddar in this recipe (especially with the lower fat ingredients). I also use fresh corn (incredible) but if you don't have fresh, use frozen. I use diced ham in mine-- others use crumbled bacon and other people don't put any meat in at all. I can't imagine it with anything but ham. Yes, I do recommend you use Velveeta-it melts quickly and thickens the cheesy corn. You can change the flavor of the dish with the type of paprika you use. With regular cheedar cheese, I like a smoked paprika. If I use a spicy cheddar, I like a sweet paprika. If I use sharp cheddar, I like a spicy paprika. That is the nice this with this recipe, you can tailor it to you tatses.

Baked Cheesy Corn

5-6 Tbsp of Butter
4 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
1/2 Cup (60g) of Flour
3 Cups (720 ml) of Milk
4-6 oz (115g- 170g) of Diced Ham
4 oz (115g) of Velveeta
8 oz (225g) Block of Cheddar Cheese, Grated
4 oz (115g) Cream Cheese
1 Tsp of Paprika
Salt and Pepper
3 Cups (555 g) of Corn (About 5 ears)


Preheat oven to 375F/190C/Gas Mark 5.  In a large sauce pan melt butter and garlic. Saute until fragrant (about one minute). Add flour and stir for about one minute. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Continue to whisk until it starts to thicken (a couple of minutes).

Stir in ham, cheeses, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir until well combined and smooth. Remove from heat and fold in corn. Pour into casserole dish. Bake for 30-40 minutes.

The bottom line will I make this again? Yes--It is tremendous served with pulled pork or spareribs. I have been known to eat it cold the next day all by itself (for breakfast or lunch).

No comments:

Post a Comment