Sunday, September 22, 2013

One Pot Bacon Mushroom Mac and Cheese

Mac and cheese, the ultimate comfort food
We are still rehabbing our kitchen. I don't think we will ever be done (grrrrrr). But the stove it done and I love my induction stove top. It is incredible. I bought a lot of new pots and pans to work with the stove and I rediscovered cast iron. I don't think I will be parted from it again. Not only is it a great conductor of heat and easy to clean but it also add a bit of iron to our food. We need iron and every little bit helps.

The most used pan in my house is a cast iron skillet. I use it for my one pot mac and cheese, the ultimate comfort food. This dish can be tailored to your tastes and mood. You can switch out the onions for leeks or green onions.  Don't like mushrooms? Then don't add them. The cheeses can be switched around based on what you feel like or more likely in our house, what you have in the refrigerator. One of these days I am going to add bacon and tomato. So what is the inspiration for this dish?  I became obsessed with this dish after having mac and cheese at Anna's Oven (50% of the profits from this restaurant go to charitable causes). I always get the roasted chicken with a side of mac and cheese.

One Pot Bacon Mushroom Mac and Cheese

5 Tbsp (70 g) of Butter
4 oz. (113 g) of Sliced Mushrooms (I used baby bellas)
1/2 Small Onion, Diced
4 Slices of Bacon, Crispy
1/4 Cup (31g) of Flour (Depending on how thick you want your mac and cheese)
6 Cups (1.4 l) of Milk
12 oz. (340 g) of Pasta
Salt, Pepper, and Cayenne, To Taste
4 Cups (500 g) of Shredded Cheese (I used a mixture of White Cheddar and Mozzarella)
1 Tsp of Dijon Mustard
1 Cup (125 g) of Breadcrumbs or Panko
1/2 Cup (63 g) of Shredded Cheese (I used Parmesan)

Preheat your broiler. Melt the butter in a large oven safe skillet. Add the mushrooms and onions and cook until softened.
Sautéing the mushrooms and onions.
Whisk in the flour and them slowly whisk in the milk.
Whisking in the flour
Once the milk is added, raise the heat and bring the milk mixture to a simmer. Add the pasta and the salt, pepper, and cayenne. Watch the mixture so that it doesn't boil over. Cook the pasta, stirring frequently, until tender.
Cooking the pasta
The time varies depending on the pasta you use. Don't worry if the mixture is a bit thin, it will thicken when you add the cheese. Add the mustard, bacon, and cheese stirring until combined.

Ready for the oven!
Taste and adjust seasonings. Cover with breadcrumbs and 1/2 cup of cheese. Place under the broiler until golden brown on top (about 2 minutes).
Done!
The bottom line: will I make this again? Oh my goodness yes. This is so yummy.


No comments:

Post a Comment