Friday, February 11, 2011

Mushrooms Filled with Boursin Cheesey Goodness!

Boursin stuffed mushrooms
I love Boursin cheese and I love mushrooms. Ok I admit it there are a lot of foods that I love. But in my defense, mushrooms filled with Boursin cheese, topped with buttered bread crumbs and then baked are wondrous little nuggets of goodness. I know that I used a lot of adjectives but I think they are that good and I think they deserve them (so does Katie). Also they are very little work but they seem like you did a lot of work. I have made other recipes with a lot more steps but they weren't any better, just more complicated. So if you come to my house for dinner and I serve these, go along with my "I slaved in the kitchen story."

I vary the mushrooms I use.  Big portabellas are my favorite, but we are in the middle of a winter storm and grocery store had button mushrooms so that is what we decided to use. (If I had a lot of people over for a party, I would use button mushrooms; they are more like finger foods. Baby bellas would work as well). The grocery store had a sale on Boursin cheese, otherwise I would have made it from scratch (in case you want to make it from scratch I included the recipe at the end- it is basically cream cheese with garlic and herbs). Well, you can never have too much Boursin cheese so I decided to make some as well and have a taste test.
You vary the stuffing you use in these. You can change the cheeses or stuff with crab. You could make it spicy. The only limitation, if you don't like mushrooms this is not the recipe for you.You certainly can use straight Boursin cheese in these but I mix it with cream cheese to make it last longer. Adding cream cheese is not as important with button mushrooms, but very important with portabellas.

Mushrooms Stuffed with Boursin Cheese

One Part Boursin Cheese
One Part Cream Cheese
Mushrooms, Big Enough to Stuff
Bread Crumbs
Butter

Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Mix the boursin cheese and cream cheese together. Clean mushrooms (by brush or wiping with a damp cloth) and remove stem (I freeze the stems and save for making broth).

Fill the mushroom with the cheese mixture and top with buttered breadcrumbs (2 Tbsp of melted butter and 1/2 cup of bread crumbs).

For button mushrooms bake 20 minutes; for baby bellas bake 25 minutes, and for full-size portabellas bake 30 minutes. You want the bread crumbs to be golden brown and the cheese to melt. (The portabellas can also be grilled and they are amazing)

Homemade Boursin Cheese

If you want to reduce the calories, use low fat cream cheese and use less butter.

4 Ounces (113 g) Butter, Softened
8 Ounces (227 g) Cream Cheese, Softened
1 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
Dill (Fresh 1 Tsp; Dried 1/4 Tsp), Fresh Should be Finely Minced
Marjoram (Fresh 1 Tsp; dried 1/4 Tsp), Fresh Should be Finely Minced
Basil (Fresh 2 Tsp; Dried 1/2 Tsp), Fresh Should be Finely Minced
Chives (Fresh 2 Tsp; Dried 1/2 Tsp), Fresh Should be Finely Minced
1/4 Tsp White Pepper, Ground
Thyme (Fresh 1 Tsp; Dried 1/4 Tsp), Fresh Should be Finely Minced
Oregano (Fresh 1 Tsp; Dried 1/4 Tsp) Fresh Should be Finely Minced

Whip the butter and then add the cream cheese. Blend together.


Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
I premeasure the herbs and garlic and put them in a bowl

Once you think it is mixed well enough, scrape down the sides and mix again.

Place in serving container and cover with lid or plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for a couple hours before serving.
Katie called first dibs on the beater
The bottom line- We of course loved the mushrooms and will make again. The mushrooms were gone within 3 minutes of leaving the oven. I was lucky I got pictures.

Also we tested both cheeses side by side and liked both. The real boursin cheese was less buttery and had more garlic. Our homemade  cheese was creamier. We will be making more boursin cheese, especially this summer when we have fresh herbs.
The finished Boursin cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment