Saturday, February 5, 2011

Vodka Pasta Sauce


Raviolis with vodka tomato sauce
I am willing to buy pre-made raviolis but not canned sauce. It is so easy to make your own. There are people who buy canned sauce and add to it- but then why not buy good canned tomatoes and make your sauce? I would like to have fresh summer tomatoes for sauce but I don't. So, canned tomatoes it is. I use the sugar to take the acid edge off of the canned tomatoes and to compliment the spice. I love garlic so I use a lot of sliced garlic. If you are not a garlic devotee then you may want to reduce the amount of garlic and mince it. I liked this so much I made two different servings of raviolis so I could have more sauce.

Vodka Tomato Sauce

1/2 Cup (50 g) Diced Onions
6 Cloves of Garlic, Sliced
2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
1/2 Cup (120 ml) Vodka
1/2 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
Salt and Pepper, To Taste
10.75 Ounces (305 g) of Tomato Puree
15 Ounces (425 g) Crushed Tomatoes
2 Tbsp of Sugar

Olive oil in pan add garlic and onions cook over medium low heat until onions are soft.

The onions and garlic
At this point your house should smell incredible. 
Add the red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.  
The onions, garlic, red pepper, salt, and pepper.
The sauce with everything in it.
Add vodka (I used CĂ®roc, a French Vodka distilled from grapes) and add the tomatoes and sugar.  Simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
The sauce is done!
Sauce over mushroom raviolis.

No comments:

Post a Comment