Friday, July 15, 2011

Fresh Easy Tomato Sauce

Not perfect but beautiful tomatoes
It was nearing the end of the farmer's market.  I was at a meeting and was watching the clock. I was  hoping I could make it to the market before it closed. I just made it to the market before it closed. I had enough time to buy a bunch of overripe tomatoes; perfect for a pasta sauce. The sooner I used them the better. It was a hot day and I didn't feel like a hot tomato sauce. I wanted something fresh and cool. I made one of my favorite pasta sauces; you make it in the time it takes the pasta cook. Too good to be true? No, it isn't because it isn't a cooked sauce.  It almost goes without saying that you need summer fresh tomatoes.

No Cook Tomato Sauce

1 Lbs (.45 kg) of Pasta, Cooked (Reserve one cup of water from the boiled pasta)
3 Cups (460 g) of Tomatoes, Diced
1 Tsp of Salt
1/2 Tsp of Pepper
2 Tbsp to 1/4 Cup (60 ml) of Good Quality Olive Oil
1/2 Cup (25 g) of Parmesan Cheese, Grated
Approximately 10 Basil Leaves, Chopped

While preparing the pasta, combine the tomatoes, salt, pepper, and oil in a large bowl.
Diced tomatoes, olive oil, and salt and pepper
 Once the pasta is done and while it is still hot, add it to the bowl with the tomatoes. Stir to combine and add the cheese and basil. If more liquid is needed add a little of the pasta water.
Fresh tomato pasta
Changes to this recipe: The best thing about this recipe is it is so versatile. If you want a spicy dish, add a 1/4 tsp of crushed red pepper. You can change the cheese or add more cheese, if you want it cheesier. It is amazing if you substitute about a 1/4 cup of pesto for the basil and olive oil (you will need to add pasta water if you go this route). If your tomatoes aren't at the peak of freshness,  you can add about a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar or champagne vinegar. You can also chill this and serve it as a pasta salad.

The bottom line: will I make this again? Yes, I will. Next time, I think I will make the version with the pesto.

No comments:

Post a Comment