Sunday, June 19, 2011

Breakfast Quiche

It's all in there quiche
I thought it was Father's Day last week so I made bacon, eggs, and hash browns for Steven. It wasn't Father's Day. Opps! Well, at least we had a nice breakfast. I couldn't do the same breakfast twice for Father's Day, so I decided to make a quiche. Real men do eat quiche; they know that it is delicious.

I made it easier on myself by making it the night before and heating it up in the morning. I am not usually an early early morning person. Also I used a premade pie crust. I baked it prior to adding the quiche filling. I used 2% milk but half and half works well soon. To lighten this you can use egg substitute. I have and Steven hasn't noticed the difference. When I use egg substitute, I add a little more black pepper, more herbs, or I spice it up. Also you could delete the bacon and the bacon grease; it will still be good, just not great. This makes a 9 inch (23 cm) quiche.


It's All in There Quiche

1 Pie Shell
1 Cup (191 g) of Onions, Diced
6 Slices of Bacon (Reserve 3 Tbsp of Bacon Grease)
6 Large Eggs, at Room Temperature
2 Cups (480 ml) of Milk or Half and Half, Warmed
1 Cup (105 g) of Grated Mozzarella Cheese
6 Basil Leaves, Chopped
Salt and Pepper, To Taste

Fry bacon until crisp, crumble, and set aside. Saute the onions in 3 tablespoons of bacon grease until the onions are soft and golden brown (this takes about 20 minutes).

Meanwhile, bake pie shell according to recipe or package directions. Once, the pie shell is baked, lower oven heat to 350F/176C/Gas Mark 4. (I put the pie shell on a baking sheet because sometimes it spills over and it is easier to work with).
Baked pie shell
Once the onions are done, beat the eggs with the warmed liquid and add the cheese, bacon, onions, basil, and salt and pepper.
Egg mixture
I usually add a bit of both. Pour into the pie shell.
The quiche is ready for the oven.
Bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes. The quiche should be set but it should still jiggle a little in the middle.
The bottom line: will I make this again? Yes I will. I may change the ingredients but they are so good together, I don't know what I would change.

No comments:

Post a Comment