Tuesday, June 7, 2011

In Season! Blueberry Muffins

Fresh blueberries
Blueberries are in season! My family are crazy about them. I buy a couple of pints at a time and put them in the refrigerator. The next thing I know, they are half gone. This year I am freezing some for winter. They are easy to freeze, just place them on a cookie sheet in the freezer until frozen and then place in freezer bags. My favorite thing to do with blueberries is to make muffins with a brown sugar crumble topping. My favorite part of the muffin is (you guessed it) the crumb topping. It is Katie's favorite part too. She would eat just the tops if she could get away with it! Here is my favorite recipe:

Blueberry Muffins

1 1/2 Cups (188 g) of Unbleached Flour
3/4 Cup (150 g) of Granulated Sugar
1/2 Tsp of Salt
2 Tsp of Baking Powder
1/3 Cup (80 ml) of Vegetable or Canola Oil
1 Large Egg
1/3 Cup (80 ml) of Milk
1 Cup (140 g) of Blueberries

Crumb Topping

1/2 Cup (109 g) of Brown Sugar, Packed
1/4 Cup (31 g) of Unbleached Flour
2 Tbsp (28 g) of Butter, Softened
1 1/2 Tsp of Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400F/204C/Gas Mark 6. Grease or place muffin liners into 12 muffin cups. Combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Break eggs into a one cup (240 ml) measuring cup, add 1/3 cup of oil (80 ml), and add enough milk to fill the measuring cup (about 1/3 cup (80 ml)  of milk). Add egg mixture to the flour mixture and gently combine. Do not over stir. Fold in blueberries.
Folding in the blueberries
Fill muffins cups about two-thirds full.
Muffins ready for the oven
Make the crumb topping by missing the crumb topping ingredients to together and sprinkle on top of muffins before baking. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. 
Beautiful blueberry muffin
The bottom line: will I make these again? Yes, I will. I might just make the crumb topping and eat it!

No comments:

Post a Comment