Saturday, June 18, 2011

Tequila Beer Flank Steak

Make your own tacos
Happy Father's Day to all of the dads out there-- and especially to my dad. I love you! I hope you are having a fantastic chicken piccata. I am sorry that I am not with you to enjoy it.

I am making Father's Day dinner for my husband (hopefully soon Katie will be making him dinner). I wanted to make a beef dish but one I did not have to grill (or more importantly Steven did not have to grill). I also wanted a lighter fresher dish. The answer: flank steak London Broil style but with a twist. Instead of topping it with onions, I  serve it with corn tortillas, salsa, and all of the fixins.

Yum! I think it is perfect for Father's Day because it is light and fresh but still a "manly" dish. I substituted beer for the oil that is usually in the marinade (which reduces the fat content and adds flavor). If you don't have any beer around, you can always use olive or vegetable oil in place of the beer. A Pilsner is fine for this recipe. It is a bonus that I can then use the leftovers for noodle bowls. One of Steven's favorite desserts is shortbread cookies so I am making those too. Now you know why I substituted the beer for the oil -- all that delicious butter in the shortbread.

The Marinade

1/2 C of Beer (Pilsner)
6 Tbsp of Tequila
3 Cloves of Garlic, Roughly Chopped
The Juice of One Lime (I also put the lime in the marinade)
1/4 Cup of Cilantro, Roughly Chopped
1 Tsp of Salt (Optional)
1 Serrano Chile, Roughly Chopped (Optional)

Combine all of the ingredients in a nonreactive dish or plastic bag and add the flank steak. Marinate for 3 to 8 hours. Remove from marinade, pat dry, and discard marinade.
Marinating flank steak

The Steak

Heat up the broiler on high and place the oven rack two from the top. Cook the flank steak until medium rare. It took mine about  6 minutes each side until it was medium rare.
Finished flank steak
It all depends on how thick your steak is. I let it rest for 10 minutes and then sliced it thinly across the grain.
Sliced flank steak
The Dinner
It was make your own tacos with flank steak. I served them with corn tortillas, salsa, cheese, lettuce, sour cream, and onion.  So so good.
The bottom line: Will I make this again. Yes, I will. Next time it won't be Father's Day and I will have Steven grill the flank steak....

No comments:

Post a Comment