Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Nutella Pop Tarts

Nutella pop tarts
It was Nutella day on February 5th. Nutella is so awesome that it gets its own day. If you have never had Nutella-- you are missing one of the great culinary joys. Nutella is a chocolate and hazelnut spread. Full of fat and taste. I love it so.
I decided to make Nutella Pop Tarts in honor of this important day. I dearly love Pop Tarts. I always feel guilty eating them and I eat them at a remarkable pace. These I feel less guilty about so they were gone in seconds. You can use your favorite pie crust for the pop tarts (I have one of mine below) or store bought crust. The dough I used was really easy to make and work with.

Nutella Pop Tarts

Pie Crust
1 Large Egg, Beaten
Nutella

Roll out the dough on a lightly floured board.
Ready to roll out the dough

If you have mad rolling skills (I do not), roll the dough into a rectangle. I get close to a rectangle and cut the dough into a rectangle. I love the edge a ravioli cutter gives the dough so I use that to cut the dough. Cut the dough into equal sized rectangles.
I love the edge the ravioli cutter makes
I use a spatula to move the bottom rectangle to a parchment lined cookie sheet. Brush a little of the beaten egg around the side of the rectangle. This helps seal the pop tart and lets you know how far to spread the Nutella. Place a dollop of Nutella in the center of the rectangle and spread evenly to the edge of the beaten egg.
Spreading the Nutella
Carefully place another rectangle of dough on top of the Nutella covered rectangle and seal with a fork- creating a lovely border. Prick the top of the pop tart with a fork (this allows the steam to escape). Repeat until you have used all of the dough.

Ready for the oven
Place the pop tarts in the refrigerator for 30 minutes and preheat your oven to 350F/176C/Gas Mark 4. Bake for 20-25 minutes until they are golden brown. Cool (ha! like that is going to happen in my house -- but be careful the filling is HOT).

Pie Crust

1 1/8 Cups (140 g) of Unbleached Flour
1/2 Tsp of Salt
1 Tsp of Sugar
1/2 Cup (113 g) of Butter, Cut into Tbsp Pieces (8 Pieces)
3-4 Tbsp of Ice Cold Water

Place the flour, salt, sugar, and butter into a food processor.

Pulse until the mixture looks like cornmeal (this does not take long).

Transfer to a bowl and add 3 tablespoons of water. Using a wooden spoon mix until a soft ball forms- you may need to add more water and you may need to use your hands.

Transfer the ball to a piece of plastic wrap, flatten into a disc, wrap tightly, and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour.

The bottom line: will I make this again? Do you even have to ask? I love these. They are so much better than store bought. The better question is did I share any of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment