Saturday, October 22, 2011

Basil Oil

Caprese salad drizzled with basil oil.
We have a lot of basil. I always plant too much. I am always in a rush at the end of the summer to use it all. This year I decided to infuse olive oil with basil. I was amazed at how easy it was.

Basil Oil

1 1/2 Cups (30 g)  of Lightly Packed Fresh Basil Leaves
1 Cup (240 ml) of Olive Oil

Rinse and dry basil leaves. Combine oil and basil in a food processor or blender and pulse so that the leaves are finely chopped but not puréed. 


Pour basil oil into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat, Stir occasionally until temperature reaches 165F/74C.

Remove from heat and allow to cool. Pour into nonreactive container, cover, and refrigerate overnight. Strain through a fine mesh strainer or several layers of cheesecloth.

Discard basil and store oil in the refrigerator.

The bottom line: Will I make this again? Yes, this time next year, I will be making more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment