Thursday, April 7, 2011

Chicken Lettuce Wraps

Chicken for the lettuce wraps
I love lettuce wraps. These are my favorite lettuce wraps. I like these more than those I get at a restaurant. Why? Because I have individualized them to my tastes- spicy. It only took me a couple of years to get it just right. This recipe is so easy, I almost didn't post it. The hardest part is the prep; once you have that done it's mere minutes until you have food on table.
I use skinless chicken thighs with this recipe. Please, please do not use white meat - it just won't be the same. Trust me. Ok. If you don't believe me- try it both ways and then come back here so I can say I told you so.
This is the medium spicy version. If you don't like spicy reduce the chile garlic sauce to 1 teaspoon (or use none at all). If you like it really spicy, increase the chile garlic sauce to two tablespoons. That much will blow your head clean off. But in a good way.

Chicken Lettuce Wraps

1-2 Pounds of Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thigh Meat, Cut into Cubes
1 Cup (80 g) of Fresh Mushrooms, Diced
8 oz. (227 g) of Water Chestnuts, Cut into Small Pieces
6 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
1 Tablespoon of Ginger, Minced
4 Tbsp of Hoisin Sauce
2 Tbsp of Oyster Sauce
2 Tbsp of Rice Wine Vinegar
2 Tbsp of Sesame Oil
1 Tbsp of Chile Garlic Sauce
3 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil
Cooked Rice or Lettuce Cups

Mix all of the ingredients together, except for vegetable oil. (This part can be completed up to 8 hours in advance).

To prepare, heat on high 3 tablespoons of oil in a large wok or skillet.  Add the chicken mixture to the skillet/wok and cook until done (approximately 5 minutes). Remove from heat.


Serve over rice or in lettuce cups. The bottom line: Will I make this again? Yes and without any changes. I love this recipe just the way it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment