Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Coconut Shrimp

Coconut shrimp
 I created this recipe back in 2000 and wrote the ingredients I used on a scrap of paper. That's it -- no amounts or directions. I had forgotten about the "recipe" until I had a craving for coconut shrimp. I went through my seafood recipe folder and found the oil stained scrap of paper. I think this is as close as I am going to get to the original recipe.

This is an easy stir fry with a bit of spice and a lot of sweetness (from the coconut). You can adjust the heat and the sweetness in this recipe by increasing or decreasing the coconut and red pepper. Make sure you have all of the prep work done before you heat up your wok because it goes fast.

Coconut Shrimp

1 Tbsp of Peanut Oil
2-3 Tbsp of Vegetable or Canola Oil
1 1/2 Inch (1/4 oz; 5 g) Piece of Ginger, Cut Up in Small Pieces
1 Red Bell Pepper, Thinly Sliced
4 Cloves of Garlic, Sliced
1 Tsp of Crushed Red Pepper
1/2 Cup (40 g) of Flaked Coconut
1/2 Cup (75 g) of Onions, Diced
3.5 oz. (100 g) Chinese Pea Pods
1 Pound (454 g) of of Shrimp, Peeled and Deveined
2 Green Onions, Thinly Sliced
Everything is ready to stir fry
Put the oil in a wok (or large skillet) over medium-high heat. Once the oil is heated, add the ginger, red bell pepper, garlic, red pepper, coconut, and onions.


Stir fry until onions are translucent. Add shrimp and pea pods. (You may need to add an extra
tablespoon of oil).


Stir fry until shrimp are done (approximately 4 minutes).

The finished dish
Garnish with green onions. Serve over rice.

The bottom line: Will I make this again? Yes. I am so happy I found the old "recipe" and recreated it.

No comments:

Post a Comment