Monday, April 25, 2011

Red Curry Lamb

Red curry is my favorite curry. I love its flavor and its heat. It's my husband's favorite as well. Katie, our daughter, does not like any curry. Someday she will love curry; it is her destiny (she is a huge foodie). She just corrected me; she like curries that have less heat than the ones I make. Did I mention that I like spicy food? Correction, I like medium spicy food; not blow your head clean off spicy.

We had lots of left-over lamb from Easter so I went through the list of dishes I thought would be great with leftover lamb. The contenders were: tomato lamb pasta sauce, lamb fried rice, lamb hash, shepherd's pie, and lamb curry. We voted and the winner was lamb curry. I think Katie voted for the lamb curry because she wanted the cucumber yogurt mixture I make to serve with curries.

Red Curry Lamb

3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Cup (191 g) of Onions, Diced
1 Inch (2.5 cm) Piece of Ginger, Finely Chopped
4 Cloves of Garlic, Thinly Sliced
1 1/2 Tbsp of Red Curry Paste
14.5 Oz. (411 g) Can of Diced Tomatoes
13.5 Fl. Oz. (400 ml) Can of Coconut Milk
1 Tbsp of Lime Juice
1 Tbsp of Brown Sugar
1-2 Pounds (.45 - .9 kg) Cooked Lamb, Cubed
1/4 Cup (4 g) of Cilantro, Chopped

Heat the oil in a large deep saucepan, dutch oven, or skillet. Once oil is heated, add the onions, ginger, and garlic.

Saute stirring frequently until tender. Stir in the curry paste and saute (stirring frequently) until very fragrant. This step should take about 2 minutes. Next add the can of tomatoes with their juices and bring to a boil.

Add the lamb, coconut milk, lime juice, and brown sugar stirring until combined.

Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve over rice and garnish with chopped cilantro.

The bottom line: will I make this again? Yes, I will. Maybe next time I will use chicken or pork or maybe seafood. It is a great recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment