Thursday, April 28, 2011

Egg Salad

This is egg salad, in my opinion, the way it should be. It is fresh, light, and no one flavor overpowers the others. It is also a great way to use those hard boiled eggs from Easter. If you can get farm fresh eggs, they will make this recipe shine. Also homemade mayonnaise is incredible in egg salad and I think worth the trouble. If you have any kids at home it is a delicious way to teach them about emulsions and sneak some science into their day. Making mayonnaise is how my 7th grade science teacher taught my science class about emulsions and I still remember it some (undisclosed number of) years later.

Egg salad does not have to automatically become a sandwich. I like egg salad on crackers, on chips, in celery ribs, and on a bed of lettuce or spinach. My all time favorite way to serve egg salad is in a summer fresh tomato. If I am going to make an egg salad sandwich, I like go all out: egg salad, tomato, bacon, alpha sprouts and lettuce on potato bread (lightly toasted).


Egg Salad

The Whites from 6 Hard Boiled Eggs, Roughly Chopped
The Yolks from 3 Hard Boiled Eggs, Roughly Chopped
2 Ribs of Celery, Finely Chopped
2 Slices of Slab Bacon, Cooked until Crisp and Finely Chopped
Salt and Pepper, To Taste
2 Tbsp of Mayonnaise

Gently mix all of the ingredients together and eat.


The bottom line: will I make this again? Oh yes I will! As soon as the farmer's markets have fresh tomatoes I will be stuffing them with egg salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment