Sunday, November 24, 2013

Cranberry Sorbet

Cranberry Sorbet
I used to have Thanksgiving dinner at my house and I would cook and cook... and cook. Not that I minded. I really like spending time in the kitchen. Now, we go to a friends house (thanks Jeanne) and I only make a couple of dishes. This year I have so much extra time, we are running a 5K in the morning. I know it is amazing (1) that we have that much time and (2) that we are choosing to run outside in the cold. On the other hand that is 300 calories burned. 
So what will I be making? I have my Thanksgiving dishes that I make every year, chocolate bourbon pecan pie (it is incredible and it even has a nut crust) and cheese garlic grits. Yes, I will make these this year, because otherwise I would have a family mutiny. I am also making candied bacon (maybe I should run the one mile fun run after the 5k as well).
In addition, I decided to make something different this year, cranberry sorbet. (Yes, it sounds like a Prince song.) It took awhile to get the recipe right. I wanted a tart sorbet but not too tart. I wanted the sorbet to have some sweetness as well. So I decided on a pink grapefruit / cranberry sorbet. The result was right on. It is tart but not too tart and not too sweet like an earlier version I made. I can already imagine the sorbet in a glass with champagne for the adults and ginger ale for the kids. Yum!

Pink Grapefruit Cranberry Sorbet

1 1/2 Cup (300 g) of Sugar
1 1/4 Cup (300 ml) of Water
3 Pieces of Grapefruit Peel
12 oz. (340 g) of Cranberries
3/4 Cup (175 ml) of Grapefruit Juice
Bring water, sugar, and peel to a boil. Add cranberries and boil for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. 
Boiling the cranberries
The cranberries will have popped and will be tender. Remove the grapefruit peel. Puree in a blender or a food processor. Add  the grapefruit juice and pour through a sieve. 

Straining the cranberries
Refrigerate overnight. Pour into an ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. 
The bottom line: will I make this again? Yes. It is awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment