Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie

Slice of slightly heated chocolate bourbon pecan pie
November is the month for chocolate bourbon pecan pies. Every year for Thanksgiving I make one and about this time of year, I start craving them.
One year, I realized to my horror that there was no bourbon in the house. I was running behind in my cooking and meal planning, and the local grocery store only had Old Crow. So that year we had an Old Crow themed Thanksgiving. It was awesome. I had no idea you could put bourbon in so many dishes.

Pat in the Pan Pie Crust

Use your favorite pie shell or make this one. I am using a pat in the pan crust. Does it work? Yes. Is it good? Yes. Is it as flaky as the roll out crusts? No. But then it is not supposed to be flaky. I added ground nuts to the crust. I love nuts crusts. It does not have the edge of crust. On the plus side it I don't have to worry about my crust burning. Why am I using it? Because it is really fast and easy and I am stretched for time today. Oh and did I mention I like nut crusts?

1 Cup (125 g) of Unbleached Flour
1/4 Cup (32 g) of Pecans, Ground
1 Stick (226 g) of Butter, Softened

In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients until a soft dough ball forms. I use my hands to mix the dough.
Mixing the dough
Using lightly floured fingers, carefully press the dough into 9 inch (23 cm) pie pan. The dough should cover the bottom and the sides.
Dough patted into the pie pan
Filling

3 Large Eggs
1 Cup (200 g) of Sugar
1 Cup (240 ml) of Light Corn Syrup
5 Tbsp (72 g) of Unsalted Butter, Melted
2 Tbsp of Bourbon
1/2 Tsp of Salt
1 Cup (128 g) of Pecans, Toasted
1 Cup (170 g) of Milk Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 375F/190 C/Gas Mark 5. Whisk together the eggs, sugar, corn syrup, butter, bourbon, and salt until well blended.
Ingredients whisked together
Stir in the nuts and chocolate chips.
All that yummyness in one bowl
Warm the pie crust in the oven until it is hot to the touch. This takes about 4 minutes. Pour filling into the prepared pie crust.
Ready for the oven
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until the edges are firm and the center seems set but quivery when the pan is nudged. Allow to cool and then refrigerate until the pie is cold and hard. Slice the pie and warm the slices in the microwave or in the oven (275F/135C/ Gas Mark 1) until the chocolate begins to soften.

The bottom line: Will I make this again? Yes, this is the best pie ever. This pie heralds the beginning of the holiday season for me. I will switch around the pie crusts I use based on my mood, but I don't mess with the filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment