Sunday, November 20, 2011

Candy Cane Kiss Chocolate Thumbprints

Awesome cookies

I am crazy about the candy cane kisses. I love the look of them and the taste. I decided to create a cookie around them. I wanted them to be like my mom's peanut blossom cookie that she makes every Christmas. A peanut butter cookie would not go well with the mint so I switched to a chocolate thumbprint.
To keep the cookies from spreading the butter should be softened but not quite room temperature. The cookie dough should be refrigerated before baking. In addition, the cookie sheets should be cooled between each batch of cookies. I tried baking cookies on both cooled and hot baking sheets. The cookies on the warm cookie sheets spread more than the cooled cookie sheets.
I tried dark chocolate kisses, mint chocolate kisses, and candy cane kisses with these cookies. I preferred the candy can kisses.

Candy Cane Kisses Chocolate Thumbprints

1 Cup (2 Sticks, 225 g) of Butter, Softened
¾ Cup (175 g) of Sugar
¾ Cup (180 g) of Brown Sugar
2 Tsp of Vanilla
2 Eggs
2 Cups (240 g) of Flour
½ Cup (40 g) of Cocoa
½ Tsp of Salt
48 Candy Cane Kisses
Sugar (to roll the cookies in)

Cream butter, sugars, and vanilla until smooth. Add the eggs. In a separate bowl combine flour, cocoa, and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
Remove foil from kisses.
Preheat oven to 350F/176C/Gas Mark 4. Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Roll dough into one inch (2.5 cm) balls, roll in sugar and place on cookie sheet.

Rolling the dough ball in sugar
 These will spread so leave enough room between the cookies. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and lightly press a kiss into the center of the cookie. Remove from the cookie sheet and cool.
A lovely plate of cookies
The bottom line: will I make this again? Yes, I love these. They will be added to the list of cookies I make each Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment