Thursday, November 3, 2011

Green Tomato Chutney

A spoonful of green tomato chutney
This is the last of the green tomato posts. Sadly, I am now out of green tomatoes. I am morning their loss. The green tomato salsa was exceptional and I am looking forward to the green tomato pickles. The big decision I have is what to put in the green tomato chutney.  Chutney comes from the East Indian word "chatni" which means "strongly spiced." Chutneys have a chunky spreadable almost preserve-like consistency.
Now the question is the flavors for the chutney. I have some lovely cilantro that I know will go perfectly with the green tomatoes. Of course, I will be using a spicy lemon pepper and some garlic. I want a bit of sweetness with the heat so I am adding brown sugar.


Green tomatoes ready to be sautéed


Green Tomato Chutney

2 1/2 Cups (300 g) of Green Tomatoes
1/4 Cup (5 g) of Cilantro, Finely Chopped
2 Tbsp of Vegetable or Canola Oil
1/2 Tsp of Cumin
1/2 Tsp of Salt
1/2 Garam Masala
1 Clove of Garlic, Minced
1 Lemon Pepper, Finely Chopped
2 Tsp of Brown Sugar

Sauté the tomatoes in a dry skillet over medium heat until fairly dry. Add the cilantro, oil, cumin, garlic, and pepper.
Green tomatoes with the added spices
Sauté until the tomatoes are browned and soft. (At this point your entire house should smell so absolutely delicious that you just can't stand it).
Finished chutney
Remove the mixture from the pan, and process it  in a blender or food processor. While the chutney is still hot, add the brown sugar and stir well.
The bottom line: Will I make this again? I would make it for the smell alone. Absolutely incredible. I will be making some naan to go with this chutney. If I can find some more green tomatoes, I will make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment