Thursday, November 10, 2011

Turkey Broth

The making of turkey stock
I admit it. I don't eat turkey on Thanksgiving. Sigh, I don't really like turkey. When I tell people this, they always look at me like I have two heads. I want to like turkey, but I don't. I have been known to eat a couple bites of a turkey leg at a Renaissance festival but that is required. I do, however, like turkey broth. It makes the best gumbo. So I always want the turkey carcass from Thanksgiving. I boil it with a bunch of herbs, spices, and veggies and I get a ton of broth. I freeze the broth until it is gumbo time!

Magical Turkey Broth

One Turkey Carcass
A Couple Sprigs of Fresh Thyme or 1 Tsp of Dried Thyme
A Couple of Sprigs of Parsley
2 Carrots, Chopped in Pieces
1 Onion, Quartered
1-2 Ribs of Celery, Cut into Pieces
1/4 Tsp of Pepper
1 Tsp of Salt, Optional (I don't add salt)


Dump everything is a large stockpot. Cover with water. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for one hour. Strain and then chill. Once chilled, skim the fat off of the top and use or freeze.

When I freeze broth or any other liquid. I place the filled bags piled on a cookie sheet until they are frozen. That way they are neat and tidy in my freezer. 

The bottom line: Will I make this again? Yes, whenever I can talk someone out of the turkey carcass. I probably should not have posted this because now all of my friends will make their own broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment