Thursday, November 17, 2011

Porchetta Style Pork Roast

The roasted pork
 I decided that we are having pork tonight. Not just any pork but a porchetta style pork roast. Oh my goodness is this good. Actually, it is great. Porchetta is is traditional Italian dish. It originated in central Italy, but it is a popular celebratory dish throughout Italy. Traditionally, an entire pig is used. I am hungry, but not that hungry.
Instead I am using the traditional flavors for a roast. The traditional spices are fennel, garlic, sage, and rosemary. It should marinate over night, but I can't wait that long.
 Leftovers are amazing as pulled pork sandwiches. I try to make enough so there are leftovers.  I prefer the roast made in a convection oven; I think it makes a moister roast in the inside and a nice crispy exterior. I have included directions for both types of ovens.

Porchetta Style Pork Roast

6 Fresh Sage Leaves
2 Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary
2 Tsp of Fennel Seeds, Ground
4 Cloves of Garlic, Peeled
1 1/2 Tsp Kosher Salt
1 Tsp Black Pepper
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 Cup (120 ml) of White Wine

Preheat oven to 275F/135C/Gas Mark 1 (250F/120C/Gas Mark 1/2 convection). In a food processor or by hand grind the sage, rosemary, fennel, and garlic to make a paste. It will make you life easier if you pre-grind the fennel seeds. I want to kick myself when I forget. In a spice grinder (I use an old coffee grinder) pulse the fennel seeds a couple of times. Add the salt and pepper.
The rub
Cut about 10 1/4 inch (.6 cm) cuts all over the roast and insert about a  third of the spice mixture into the cuts.  Add the oil to the remaining and rub on the roast.
Ready for the oven
Roast in the oven for 2 hours (convection 1 hour and 30 minutes). Pour white wine over the pork and baste with juices. Continue roasting basting every 30 minutes for about 2 and half more hours (2 hours convection). Internal temperature should be 170F/77C and the outside of the roast should be brown and crispy. Let rest at least 15 minutes before slicing.

The bottom line: will I make this again? Oh yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment